Sunday, June 26, 2011

Hit me with your best shot

So now that it has been almost forever since I blogged on here...I am picking up where I left off in reading through the Bible....

Exodus 9-11

So now we read about the next 6 plagues.

Pharoah, Pharoah, Pharoah. The story of the plagues is like one of those movies. You know the one, where you know the characters aren't going to make the right choice, but you are on the edge of your seat telling them out loud what they should do. Ha ha ha. Part of me is telling Pharoah "Come on, man. Really?! Like give it up!" and part of me is so psyched that God has created this opportunity to really show us who He is and what He's got. I so wish I could interview Pharoah. "So, Pharoah, your readers are dying to know-what were you thinking?!". Was he putting up a front and going to bed terrified of what God would do next? Was he just wanting to see what God could do? Was he just convinced that God wouldn't go as far as He ended up going? Man. I have a killer curiosity, I want the details, details, details! Dead livestock, boils, hail, locusts, darkness, and a preview of death. I want to know what the Egyptians are eating at this point. The locusts took everything and they have no meat. Mud Pies? Rock-sickle? Locust poo? (hahaha). And I wonder what excuse the sorcerers had for not being able to get rid of their boils? Did they call in sick? "Yes Pharoah we heard everyone has boils...no sir we won't be able to get rid of yours....well we're actually coughcough sick coughcough".

Proverbs 1:20-33

What a perfect section of verses to accompany Exodus right now.

This is wisdom speaking...

"What if catastrophe strikes and there's nothing to show for your life but rubble and ashes? You'll need me then. You'll call for me, but don't expect an asnwer....Because you hated knowledge and had nothing to do with the Fear-of-God"

So we have it. Pharoahs (obvious) problem, he wasn't scared of God. I'd say that about sums up what's wrong with our world today. We want love but we don't want it to be powerful. We want change but we don't want to give up our addictions. We want help but we don't want commitment. We like the idea of something bigger than us, holding everything together...you know something... "spiritual". But we don't think we should have to be scared of it. It should just be there to make the stars and mountains beautiful and keep karma going. God is so much more.

1 comment: