Tuesday, November 24, 2009

DAY 9

Day Nine

Genesis 18-20

"Abraham and Sarah were old by this time, very old. Sarah was far past the age for having babies. Sarah laughed within herself, "An old woman like me? Get pregnant? With this old man of a husband? God said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh saying, 'Me, have a baby? An old woman like me?' Is anything to hard for God? I'll bbe back about this time next year and Sarah will have a baby. " Sarah lied. She said, 'I didn't laugh," because she was afraid. But he said. 'Yes you did; you laughed."

When was I last Sarah? When have I laughed at God, told him no way, that's not possible? How much must that hurt God for us to laugh at Him. For us to lose faith, lose hope, lose trust. God's power is our power. Whatever we ask for in prayer, according to His will, He will do. Sarah is a perfect example of how our prayers are not always answered, but she is also a reminder to us to not give up faith simply because we feel God has not answered in time.

Question: What strikes you as the theme in these chapters? God displays not only his power, but also his mercy. He answers prayers. He follows through with what he says will be done, but he listens to His people.

Psalm 8

"I look up at your macro-skies, dark and enormous,
your hand-made sky-jewelry,
Moon and stars mounted in their settings.
Then I look at my micro-self and wonder,
Why did you bother with us?
Why take a second look our way?"

I adore this passage. It is so beautifully written. So touching. So revealing. So true.

Question: In what ways do we participate in God's world? God gave us the part of care taker. He gave us charge of the animals, and of the land. And sometimes we do the right thing, we take care of the animals, we take care of the land. Sometimes we are cruel to His animals, his creations, and sometimes we are cruel to the planet, we trash it.

No comments:

Post a Comment